Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Shibori Smock - My Summer Clothes Collection

What could be more satisfying than sewing a tried-and-true pattern? I made two recently: my Japanese smock and another StyleArc design. The smock pattern was made from a piece of hand-dyed Shibori cotton I found on Ebay. Look how beautiful the fabric looks...

I managed to actually match the pattern in the front.

Not so successful in the back, but it difficult to tell. The cut on this smock
does not really allow pattern matching very well. 
 The cotton is extremely comfortable, and the blue is vibrant on every complexion. I was a bit surprised that even after washing before cutting the fabric, my hands still turned slightly blue. Well, not as blue as a true Shibori artist. Look at the two pattern pieces for the smock...



I am still working down the huge stash of bias binding I shipped over from the UK. But we can always use more bias tape right? I couldn't let this beautiful fabric go to waste, so I made more from the leftovers.

I have a couple more Shibori pieces left, and I'm planning on making another Asian-inspired pattern. One idea I have is a Chanel-cut quilted jacket. I saw one ever-so-briefly one season at J. Crew and fell in love with it.

Here is the other piece I completed on the same day as the smock...another remake of SyleArc's Peta Pants. I was inspired to do it in a black cotton because of the pair I recently made for my stepmother. This is an embroidered cotton that I picked up many moons ago at Stone Mountain Fabrics. Look closely at the second picture for the embroidery print.


See the actual pattern HERE.
The first couple of pairs of Peta pants were sewn in ponte, and another double knit. Both were too long, and too big due to the added stretch. Both pairs were gifted to my sister. The Peta pants are cut for wovens. After shortening the length, my woven pair turned out just fine.

Frida Kahlo's birthday is coming up in the first week of July. Anyone interested in joining me in a sew-along tribute? This would be my third year of sewing something for Frida. Last year I made a Victory Pattern dress using Sari fabric. I still believe that a modern Frida would be multicultural, and appreciate fashion from around the globe. If you want to join me...shoot me a message or post. You can make anything...just post it on my Google Plus community board on July 6th or send me a link or photo of your post before July 6th, and I'll post it on my blog. If Frida were alive today, she would be turning 108 years old. Let's celebrate together!

Frida Kahlo RIP
Happy sewing! 





No comments:

Post a Comment