Friday, May 22, 2015

Wardrobe Staples

Sewing was really at an all-time low during early Spring. My dreams of creating some fun clothes bursted from having too much work from my day job. Maybe you don't know this...but I am a licensed acupuncturist by profession. My husband pokes fun at this (pun intended), because of my general fondness for needling, be it in the textile or healing arts.

It's been a slow work week, which seems to happen around a holiday, and this being Memorial Day weekend, I thought I could sew a bit more. I took a good look at my aging wardrobe, which consists of really old corporate work clothes, and really raggedy things I kept from my graduate school days. I used to pride myself on dressing well, but given the opportunity to choose, I prefer to live in sweats, t-shirts, and clogs. Obviously, I need better staples.

Last Sunday, I decided to sew staples that I could wear at home and at work. There's nothing like elastic-waisted bottoms for complete comfort. And if I can find a pattern with no more than two major pieces to sew together...then it's gold.

Enter...another successful StyleArc Pattern...the Rita Ponte Skirt. Believe me, I've got a lot of ponte fabric in my stash. This easy skirt is cut in short and long lengths. I chose the long length for my first choice, but I might go back and make the shorter version as Summer kicks in. I did not add any decorative side bands, which is very in-style, but not in my "lazy" style I'm afraid.


I made three skirts in total...and it gets much faster after the first one. I serged all my skirts, and was able to churn out one in about an hour. I made the first out of a black and ivory striped print, the second out of my grey velour (which would go great with tennis shoes), and the third is in basic black. Ponte is pretty much wearable year-round in California (with the exception of those 100-plus degree days).



I felt slightly guilty that I was not challenging myself to make something more difficult. But seriously, I don't need fancy clothes. I just need clothes that are a step-up from sweats, and decent enough to wear to work. Luckily, being an acupuncturist does not require me to wear a suit. Although it's great to look professional...but I move a lot, and physically work with patients. Stretch and breathable fabrics are key for me.

With a few bottom basics completed, I am left with the task of finding things to match. The one thing I need to do better at is buying fabric stash that coordinate. I only did this once...and I managed to use up all except one piece of fabric in that collection. BTW, sewing with ponte and velour really shrinks down stash space. Happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment