Saturday, March 16, 2013

My Final 2012 Winter Holiday Project



I looked at all my holiday pieces this week in my closet, and realized that it's going to be another eight months before I can wear them again.  Oh well, better late than having this top end up in a basket titled "incomplete stuff."  Luckily, I don't have such a basket.  When I started sewing again, one of my first resolutions was to stop hoarding fabric.  I still remember moving house 20 years ago and giving away six large boxes of fabric.  It's still painful thinking about all that money wasted.  I digress.

This was another Very Easy Vogue pattern that did not end up being very easy.  Everything about it was difficult: the cutting, the sewing instructions, and especially its awkward length.  It has this asymmetrical hem that ended up four inches too long.  I think this design is meant for tall girls.

I made three changes.  The side attachment required a hook and eye closure.  This was not going to hold up with the fabric being so thin.  I extended the straps and turned them into ties instead.  I didn't put darts on the back, partially because I'm lazy, but I figured it was a stretchy fabric so darts really were not going to be necessary.  Lastly, that darn hem was so asymmetrical that it looked lopsided.  It was so bad that I had to put the project away for the remainder of the holiday season.  A couple of weeks ago, I finally chopped off four inches and re-hemmed it.  Now it doesn't look like I'm wearing my Mommy's clothes.

I've come to the conclusion that any pattern that has a wrap-around design is going to be a pain to sew.  I am no longer going to be deceived by the "Very Easy" title.  The pattern layout and cutting required double or even triple the table space or floor cutting.  (I hate cutting on the floor.)  It also requires a lot of fabric, so I had to consider the weight around my already thick mid section.

I was a little addicted to sparkly fabric all Winter, mostly because I've never used this type of material before.  I discovered between the different metallics, my skin looked the best against gold.  This was a nice surprise.



No comments:

Post a Comment