Saturday, March 16, 2013

2013 Spring-into-Summer Projects

Both the top and the skirt was made using a yard of fabric each.  The plaid top was tricky trying to match the prints at the side seams with a limited amount of fabric.  (It's almost perfect.)  The skirt didn't have a waist band.  I used yellow seam binding.  You can't really see it in the photo, but the yellow gives the skirt a nice pop.  There's also pockets in the front which are not distinguishable due to the crazy chicken print.  

When I first finished the skirt and top, I thought they were too short, but when I put them together, the proportions actually worked, and neither looked too short on the dress form or me!  Happy days!

I wore shorts last weekend...a sign that Spring is officially here!  In honor of this fabulous season, I dedicated my first available Saturday to this colorful top and skirt...finished just two hours ago.

I am doing all this with the flu.  I sneezed, I hacked, and sneezed some more.  But who's bothered by all this when I can focus on some quality sewing?  Not me!

The skirt fabric came from the home furnishings section at Joann's Fabrics.  It was the last yard on the bolt, and I think these chubby, bright chickens were meant for kitchen curtains.  But I thought it would be a cute skirt instead.  The top fabric was a plaid, cotton-stretch find from the clearance table.  And with only a yard left, I did not have many pattern choices.  I don't normally mix so many patterns together, but I thought the two pieces have a nice little country look to it.

What do you think?  Tucked in or out?  I like it both ways.  The outfit looks great with my red Mary Janes.

I usually don't like combing through clearance tables, but it was an additional 50% off, and I couldn't resist.  To prevent myself from slipping into hoarding mode, I tried to get pieces that at least matched each other.  I bought a lemony chiffon piece decorated with clear sequin, and another yellow loose knit that would make a nice front-tie jacket for the summer.  I just have to come up with some patterns for these pieces.

I bought about six yards of fucsia t-shirt ribbing fabric...I have been looking for this exact color and material ever since I ruined my favorite Gap tank with a leaky ink pen in the dryer.  (I have ruined so many pieces of clothing this way).  Now I have enough material to make ten more tank tops at three bucks each.

In February, Hart's Fabrics in Santa Cruz had its storewide sale.  I loaded up on many pieces that would work for my Spring into Summer wardrobe.  All the fabric designs beg for retro styling.  Pencil pants are in my future, along with a Chanel imitation bouclé skirt, and even a bow-tie blouse.  Since it's still early in the season, and Summers in Northern California can last through September, I've got plenty of time to get everything done.  (As long as I stop adding more projects to the pile...anymore ideas, and I'll be sewing Summer wear till Christmas.)

I decided to test run a few Burda Style online patterns with my Spring-into-Summer projects.  I've located at least a couple patterns I want to use.

Here is my color palette for the next two seasons:

This is a future chocolate lace dress with a pink cotton underlining.
I am considering a Burda Style wedding dress pattern, or something like it for the chocolate lace: Chocolate Lace Dress
The left is a tutti fruiti boucle´ that is going to be an imitation Chanel skirt, and the right is a rayon floral on dotted jacquard.  In this photo, the two fabrics don't look like they match, but they do!

Thinking of turning this one into a semi-fitted, short-sleeved bow-tie blouse.  This top will also match the boucle´ skirt but the two prints might not be contrasting enough. 
This Burda Style pattern is a possibility for the polka-dotted print:  Bow Blouse

Pretty sure this is a home furnishings piece meant for pillows or curtains.  A little off the color palette, but I consider the off-white and gray more neutral.  I am going to attempt a pair of straight-legged, cigarette pants.  The large fabric pattern is tricky, so it's going to require some creative tweaking.  

This is going to be an eyelet cotton blouse with a purple lining.  The lining looks more plum here, but it's really a nice deep lavender in true light.  I'm really excited about this piece and the chocolate brown lace fabric.  I have never really used much lace or eyelet before or made many lined pieces in the past.  (I just saw a top on J. Crew that resembles my idea.)  
















2 comments:

  1. I love the new outfit! What pattern did you use for the top? Both pieces are adorable. Such a good idea to have things planned out so nicely; I usually just kinda jump around deciding what to create mostly based on what I feel like making or what pattern has caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the top, I used McCall's M6604 (Top C), and the skirt was another McCall's M6290 (Skirt B). I still struggle with matching everything perfectly. It's easier to find the fabric first and then decide on the pattern, only problem is making sure I buy enough fabric. I went through my personal pattern stash to find two pieces that could be made with only a yard of fabric each. I try to use everything I already have, and if I splurged on fabric, I try to make plans to use it by scoping out patterns. I'm trying not to hoard too much sewing stuff.

      Delete