|Fabric from FABMO, biased tape made by me using scrap cotton fabric with owl motif.|
Note: I omitted two pleats from the neckline.
Now that I've completed one hurdle, I took the last three weeks to catch up on sewing and knitting projects. I found myself sewing a lot of pieces for the Summer months. I'm basically sewing like I'm flying to Hawaii again...but I'm not. I'm actually going to Japan and Hong Kong! Side note: I've been doing a lot of research on what I want to buy while in Japan. "Everything" is not in the cards. Plus airlines have become really stingy with checked-in luggage capacities. My husband's eyes bulge slightly when I put the words "shopping" and "Japan" together in the same sentence. I'm less likely to go overboard in Hong Kong, but Japan is the Land-of-Plenty for crafters.
|Actual photo of the pattern in the book.|
Blouse from my first Japanese pattern book.
In case someone is wondering about how difficult these patterns are...one word: EASY. The only challenge was copying the pattern itself from the labyrinth of other patterns on top of each other. I suppose if someone is a Burda pattern master...this process should be simple. The instructions are basic and in English. I couldn't figure out the seam allowance, or I'm just a poor reader and haven't found it yet. There are no plus sizes, and the largest size looks like a US size 10 if you shop at the GAP, or really a size 14 in standard pattern size. The largest bust size was 38-ish. I graded the pattern up an inch, and really...I didn't need to do that. There was a lot of built-in ease. It is a smock afterall. I plan on grading it back down if I make it again. I'm borderline petite in height, and I felt like the length barely fit me. Someone taller would need to grade the length.
I've been getting some knitting done as well. I finally completed the linen skirt that's been sitting in my closet for two years because I needed to learn a stretchy bind-off stitch. When I originally completed my skirt, the bind-off was so tight, I was only able to get one leg into it. Sadly, I am not a very experienced knitter, and I thought I would need professional help to resolve the waistband problem. But the internet once again, saved my knitting day. I used Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off technique. Get the tutorial HERE on Rivalry. This is the BEST stretch bind-off stitch EVER!!!
|100% linen by Euroflax. Pattern from my favorite knitting book: |
"Knit Two Together" by Mel Clark and Tracy Ullman. See it HERE.
|Jersey zebra print fabric from Fabric.com. Lining from Joann's Fabric|
Bombshell Bathing Suit Pattern
by Closet Case Files on Etsy. HERE.
|Fabric from Joann's sale table, $4 a yard. Poly-cotton terry cloth blend.|
Pattern: McCall's M6063 (EASY)
I made it using two types of fabrics and sewed the wrap different directions. The lace one is leftover fabric from my Burda lace dress from last year. (See HERE) I had just enough to make the top. I suggest using a stretch fabric for better fit. My lace version is a snug fit, and the cotton t-shirt striped version is extremely comfortable. But they both have completely different looks. I did not line the lace top like I did with my original dress and I shortened the bottom so that it would be less bulky in case I decide to use it as a camisole.
|Paired with my hand-knitted linen skirt.|